A Transition is the process of moving from one situation to another and taking the time to adjust. With this in mind we have created a ‘Transitions Pack’ for students.
Major transitions, such as moving from Pre-school to Primary School, represent significant milestones in a child’s life. Good communication processes are key to ensure that transitions happen as smoothly as possible. The Transitions Document places the Child at the centre of the change process, and aims to support children on their education journey.
In line with Aistear/Siolta Practice guide, the Transitions Document has been developed as a communication tool for use when children are moving from Pre-school to Primary school.
The Transitions Document consists of 7 sections :
- A passport sized photo of the child with their age/D.O.B underneath it.
- A section on the child’s likes (completed in consultation with the child).
- “All about me”- some short lines about the child.
- “Aistear”- a photo or some details about how the child likes to play.
- “Child’s input” – write the child’s own words about how they anticipate primary school to be.
- “Parents input”- fill in with the parent.
- “Notes”; if the Early Years Practitioner has an opportunity to meet with the child’s new teacher or Home School Liaison or other relevant staff- details can be recorded in this section.
The Document was rolled out across all Early Years Services in the Blueskies Area in Spring 2016 and after a successful evaluation the project was continue this year.
Earlier this month Beechtree Community Childcare’s Early Years Class took a trip to Divine Mercy National School in Balgaddy to meet their future principal and see the school before making the move into Junior Infants this September.
In this video Blue Skies Initiative Early Years Mentor, Eimear Furlong, explains the process…